Lake Tahoe Activities
Situated on the pristine shoreline of South Lake Tahoe, The Landing Resort and Spa is the only luxury waterfront resort in the area. The Resort is only 3 blocks from the lively downtown area, Casinos and Heavenly Village which offers shopping, restaurants and galleries. South Lake Tahoe offers a variety of activities year round. The most popular Summer activities range from boating and kayaking to mountain bike riding and golfing. Winter activities offer some of the world’s best skiing with 10 ski resorts, snow shoeing and sledding. South Lake Tahoe also offers spectacular lakeside dining options with amazing views of the lake and sunsets.
Skiing & Snowboarding: The majestic Sierra Mountains offer 12 ski resorts around the lake with jaw-dropping cliffs, serene glades and spectacular views of the lake. Heavenly Village & Gondola is just a few minutes away by shuttle, and some other exciting ski mountains include Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows, Northstar, and Kirkwood.
- Cross-Country Skiing & Snowshoeing: Explore the tranquility of the snow-covered meadows with a customized tour for all levels of ability.
Snowmobiling: Explore nature’s less-traveled roads and glide through pristine woods and lakeside trails at speeds that relax or thrill -- the choice is yours!
- Sleigh Rides and Tubing: Experience authentic, cozy winter sleigh rides or the thrills of tubing and sledding with unbelievable views from mountaintop trams and lodges.
- Hiking: Whether you are looking for a scenic day hike or a getaway in desolation, South Lake Tahoe promises a trail for hikers of all levels. For local trail heads, checkout www.everytrail.com
- Biking: For guests looking for adventure, bike paths, dirt roads, single tracks, and bike parks abound around the lake. There are scenic, mellow rides as well as steep, rocky precipices in the mountains. Some ski resorts have bike parks where you can purchase a lift ticket, ride effortlessly to the summit and then adventure your way down dusty ski trails. For a true challenge, check out the Flume Trail with its astonishing views and single track along the east shore. For an article on the top six-area mountain bike trails visit www.tahoesouth.com or www.tahoevacationguide.com for additional trail information.
Water Sports: Guests who enjoy water sports will find no shortage of fun in Lake Tahoe with boating, waterskiing, wakeboarding, kayaking, and paddle boarding; lessons available for beginners. Lakeside Beach and Marina is just steps away from The Landing Resort & Spa.
- Stream and Lake Fishing: Fishing excursions range from serene fly fishing to chartered lake fishing for individuals and groups of all sizes.
- Golf: Edgewood Golf Course is adjacent to The Landing Resort & Spa and rated by Golf Digest Magazine as one of "America's Top Golf Courses" with five (5) additional golf courses around the Lake Tahoe area.
- Horseback Riding: Enjoy equestrian adventures such as steak dinner rides, one-hour to two-hour excursions plus breakfast, lunch, and dinner rides. Other outings include backcountry pack trips, hay wagon rides, and pony rides, along with trail rides at Camp Richardson’s Corral or Zephyr Cove Stables.
- Paddlewheel and Catamaran Lake Cruises: Cruise options feature an elegant dinner cruise or a beautiful sightseeing tour. The M.S. Dixie II or the Tahoe Queen out of Zephyr Cove offer dancing and dining.
Quick Facts about our Area:
Surface Area: 193 square miles
Capacity: 39 trillion gallons
Maximum Depth: 1645 feet
Shoreline: 71 miles
Daily Evaporation: 335,000,000 gallons
Length: 22 miles
Width: 12 miles